Need a name for a behaviour

I first noticed this behaviour when I was little.  It enraged me even then.  It still does, but these days I control the reaction.  The behaviour, I found widespread in women (though it may occur among effiminate men or men who like to play games.)  My first early memory of this behaviour is with my mother, but since that time I have encountered it with my wife, my female colleague and female boss.

The behaviour in question:  The female initiates a conversation, asks a question, or asks for an opinion.  Then, right when you start to reply, she diverts her attention from what you are saying, to something that is (demonstrably for you) more important or pressing, thus cutting you off in mid speech.  If she is especially kind, after the interruption, she will turn to you, and resume with “and so you were saying?”.

I badly need a name for this behaviour.  I bet the Americans, who incorrigibly study all and every phenomenon from a “scientific” standpoint, have, in one of their many classified reports, already given a name to this.  I just don’t know it.  I was thinking of calling it the “cut off” as in “she gave me the cut off” as in “she gave me the go by”.  But perhaps there is a more appropriate term.

I would punish the perpetrators with, what, a year of solitary, or have their tongues paralysed.  But I still  can’t enforce my curses or make them real, so I’ll just keep practicing and hoping for the best.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: